In 1999, Crash Team Racing hit the Sony PlayStation, wowing gamers and critics alike. Fast forward 20 years later and players once again get to race around colorful tracks with a rich selection of characters and villains from the Crash Bandicoot series.
Start Your Engines
Upon launching CTR, you’ll notice there is a lot of content and options at hand. At launch there are over 25 playable characters, 30 + race tracks, an impressive selection of local and online modes, plus a series first…customization (skins, karts, paint jobs, decals and more). The developer Beenox, also wisely made these modifications purely cosmetic, to ensure an even playing field within the online scene.
There are several classes in regards to Driving Styles, ranging from Beginner to Advanced. The Beginner’s class keeps the speed dialed in and turn-in sharp, giving the player a kart that is easy to control and very forgiving. The Intermediate and Advanced class cranks up the acceleration, but requires a greater deal of finesse in terms of handling.
The controls in CTR are fantastic, making it very easy to pick up for those new to the series. The key mechanic in place to get your kart around corners quicker is the power slide. It takes a little practice to get the hang of, but can be a game changer in posting up faster laps and grabbing first place online.
To pull off a power slide, you’ll need to hit one of the bumpers (R1 or L1) first when going into a corner. Next you’ll need to counter-steer while holding down R1 or L1. There is a Turbo Boost meter that you’ll need to pay attention to. As you hold this slide, it will begin to fill up. When full, hit the opposite bumper. When timed correctly, you can hit the opposite bumper up to three times, skyrocketing you forward and even holding a sick wheelie when all three bursts are achieved.
You’ll need more than just speed to win. Along each race track, there will be Wumpa fruits and Wumpa crates. If you collect 10, you’ll become “Juiced Up”, making your power-ups stronger and more effective. Your top speed will also be increased by collecting these. As you can see, there is actually a lot of strategy involved here in winning races. Most importantly, the frantic action, colorful visuals and cleverly designed tracks make every race a fun event.
- Adventure (Classic and Nitro-Fueled) – A full fledged campaign where you are tasked to save the world from nemesis “Nitros Oxide”, who plans to turn the Earth into a giant parking lot if he wins the competition. Take first place to open up new races and gain access to additional challenges.
- Single Race – Perfect for picking out your favorite tracks. Customize the number of laps and difficulty level.
- Time Trial – Race against a ghost driver
- Cups – This even consists of 4 races. Player with the most points at the end wins.
- Battle – Fight dirty to take the win here. This mode features fan favorites like “Capture the Flag” and “Last Kart Standing”.
- Grand Prix (available July 3rd) – Free seasonal DLC that contains new tracks, characters, karts and more.
Conclusion and Score
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled is a gorgeous arcade racer that is a high octane ride. Beenox has crafted this new entry with lots of love for the many fans of this beloved franchise. Track design is phenomenal, making every race action packed and visually stunning. The vast selection of characters and modes make this a serious contender in the kart racing genre. It’s official, this Bandicoot is back.